This one takes a bit more concentration than most other Tiny Tidys, but its well worth it! You can still do this even if you have adapted to mostly using a Kindle, and your bookcases are used to mostly house knick-knacks, plants and the like.
PICK ONE BOOKCASE/SET OF SHELVES YOU'D LIKE TO TIDY THE MOST, AND LET'S GET TO IT!
(GATHER A FEW EMPTY SHOPPING BAGS, SOME RAGS AND YOUR FAVE ALL-PURPOSE CLEANSER:)
- TAKE A GOOOD LOOK! What do you NOT like about your current bookshelf organization? Are the shelves too crammed, too minimalist, or simply not being used properly? Do you have just loads of books you have not yet read, and, if you're honest, have no real intention of doing so? Take note of how you want the bookcase to look and feel...
- TAKE EVERYTHING OFF OF THE SHELVES.
- Wipe down the shelves, top and bottom.
- Start with the books. This is where we DO totally follow the Kondo method: Pick up/look at each book: Do you REALLY love it? If you've read it, would you like to keep it to re-read, or pass on to someone else? Decide now!
- Place in a pile in your shopping bags the books that are NOT staying.
- Look at the ones that are staying, and think about how you'd like to organize them.
- I like to start with a shelf of books that are old favorites, another filled with new ones, then one for biographies, memoirs, self-help or psyche books, and on and on. Dust these off lightly, and...
- Arrange the books you are keeping as you have decided.
- Fill in with any knick-knacks, plants or photos that you'd like, dusting off the knick-knacks and frames lightly as you do so...
- Take this time to decide if there are any little knick-knacks or photos that could be added/taken away, etc.
- Now, you are almost done. Those books you are giving away: Who would like them? I personally almost monthly give books away (and take some, too!) from my local Little Free Library, which are run by neighbors, and are beyond adorable, useful and amazing. Make a point to put those books in your car, to drop off to friends, your regular or Little Library.
- And...Dude , good job, you are DONE!
NOT SO BAD, right?! Now, you can start on another one, you bad-ass, if you really feel like it, have more than one! #yay! xo