This, admittedly, will be easy for some of us-and absolute hell for others. Choose which bag you'd like to conquer today- your tote bag for work, your everyday purse, your computer bag-whichever functions as your go-to, everyday-type-of-situation bag.
OKAY! HERE WE GO!
- Grab your bag.
- Go and sit somewhere comfortably that also has some nice space to spread out the goods-maybe the couch near a coffee table, or your kitchen table (if the table is clear enough!)
- Open that bag.
- Peer in!
- What is your first feeling? Alarm? Distress? Anxiety at the twisted receipts and ratty hair ties lying at the bottom? Or maybe-calm, soothed and relaxed? (you little bitch! ;)
- Yes, you truly want to go for that feeling of being calm and organized every time you glance in there. Your money, phone, keys, planner, maybe your iPad or laptop- whatever you keep in there- it's... your life! This is important stuff. Pay attention to how you want to feel about these things, every single day. Focus.
- Take out your wallet/checkbook/where you stash your receipts (if you do that.)
- How do you feel? Anxious? Sort through your wallet-pulling out anything extraneous-slips/receipts/stubs, etc.
- DECIDE THIS: Sort it/stash it/trash it! Then do that!
- Put aside your wallet and checkbook, on the table.
- Pull out anything cosmetic-hand lotion, hand sanitizer, lip balm, make-up in a case. Go through it. Wipe it down with a damp paper towel or baby wipe.
- Put these cosmetics and similar items aside.
- Go through whatever the hell else is in there. Have a comb or hairbrush? Go rinse them out in the bathroom sink, and set them on the sill to dry.
- DECIDE THIS AGAIN: Sort it/stash it/trash- any junk YOU DO NOT NEED/USE EVERYDAY, or is basically nonessential.
- Put anything you essential you want to keep on the table.
- Grab a baby wipe or damp paper towel or rag, and clean that bag-inside & out! (NOTE: Empty out your bag in the sink first, before cleaning.)
- Look at everything you- ahem- set out on the table...Just relax. We will get through it.
- What would make you feel more "together," day-to-day? A new app on your phone? Maybe you are secretly analogue and old-school, and want to get a pretty, new Day-Planner? Perhaps it's some new lipstick, or (in my case) a way to keep a mini-version of your everyday make-up routine in your very small clutch. Whatever it is! Make a note of it, and try to make these purchases (or pull from your own home) this very week.
- Put everything BACK in your everyday bag/purse.
- Breathe sigh of great relief!
YOU DID IT! Great job...
The OG organizing tool, from Filofax...Grab it, below.